Plains Indians: From Sand Creek to Wounded Knee
- 1864-1865, Documents on the Sand Creek Massacre
- 1876, Chief Red Horse, Minniconjou Lakota, an eyewitness account of the Battle of the Little Bighorn 1876 June 25, George Herendon , " Custer's Last Stand" [From the New York Herald]
- 1876 July, The New York TimesOn the Battle of the Little Big Horn
- 1876 July 5, Major M.A. Reno, "Report on the Battle of Little Big Horn"
- 1876 August 5, an editorial from the Harper's Weekly, on the Battle of the Little Big Horn
- 1888 February 8, The Dawes Act [ending of tribal homelands]
- 1890 December 16, James McLaughlin, An Account of Sitting Bull's Death
- 1890 December 29, Philip Wells, "Massacre At Wounded Knee"
- 1890, Lakota accounts of the massacre at Wounded Knee
Chicago Anarchists on Trial: Evidence from the Haymarket Affair 1886 - 1887
The Dramas of the Haymarket -
Haymarket: Statement of August Spies -
Molly Maguires: "The Overthrow of the Molly Maguires" -
The Homestead Strike of 1892 - http://www.history.ohio-state.edu/projects/HomesteadStrike1892/
The Coal Strike of 1902 - http://www.history.ohio-state.edu/projects/coal/1902anthracitestrike/
The Chicago Teamsters Strike of 1905 -
Lowell: Autobiography of Harriet Robinson:
The Gilded Age
- Henry Demarest Lloyd: "The Lords of Industry," North American Review 331 (June 1884) [Added 7/3/98]
- Thorstein Veblen (1857-1929): The Theory of the Leisure Class, 1899, [At this Site], or see Full text [At Virginia]
- Thorstein Veblen (1857-1929): Conspicuous Consumption, 1902 [At this Site]
- Henry B.F. Macfarland: Mr. McKinley as President, The Atlantic Monthly, March 1901, [At The Atlantic, subscription required]
People's Party Platform, 1896 [At USInfo] Radical rural/farmers' party. The roots of American "populism"..
Social Conditions, Urbanism, Immigration
1882 March 6, Chinese Exclusion Act [from Documents for the Study of American History]
Jacob Riis (1849-1914): How the Other Half Lives; Studies Among the Tenements of New York, 1890 [Yale]
1894, Statement of the Principles of The League of United Latin-American Citizens, a Texas-Mexican Civic Organization
The Modern Corporation
- Henry Demarest Lloyd: The Story of a Great Monopoly, The Atlantic Monthly, March 1881. [At The Atlantic]
On Standard Oil and the Rockefellars. See modern comments in The Atlantic Monthly, May 1998 [At The Atlantic, subscription required]
- 1890, Mary Elizabeth Lease. "Wall Street Owns The Country"