Link to Fordham Internet Sourcebook on 19th Century American Culture
The Seneca Falls Convention, 1848
Declaration of Sentiments
Horace Mann on Education Reform 1848
- Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882): Concord Hymn, July 4, 1837 [At U Oklahoma]
- Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882) The Transcendentalist, 1842 [At Emerson Central]
- Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882): The Young American, 1844 [At Emerson Central]
- Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882): Nature; adresses, and lectures [At Emerson Central]
- William Ellery Channing (1780-1842): On The Elevation of The Laboring Classes, 1840 [At this Site]
- Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862): Civil Disobedience, 1846 [At USInfo] Very long selections.
- Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862): Slavery in Massachusetts, 1854 [At eserver][Full Text]
- James Russell Lowell (1819-1891): On Democracy, 1868 [At this Site]
- Mark Twain: An American's View of Europe from Innocents Abroad,1869, [At this Site]
- William Graham Sumner (1840-1910): The Challenge of Facts, pub. 1914 [At this Site]
A prominent American social Darwinist mixes social Darwinism with aspects of a Calvinistic work ethic, provides Darwinist explantion of the family, and attacks Socialism.