Takehome Final Exam Questions. For our final exam on Wednesday, March 21, 2012 (11AM – 12:50 PM) prepare the following essay in a 2-4 page essay double-spaced. If you forget to prepare this essay ahead of time you will need to handwrite your essay during the exam.
Question 4) Explain the ideological, racial, economic and political rationale for the Spanish American War and for the annexation of Hawaii. What were the major conflicts presented by these territorial acquisitions? To what extent had America become an empire and what are the problems of empire?
There are a number of documents available from the Fordham Internet Sourcebook that will be helpful for this assignment.
- WEB Documents Relating to American Foreign Policy--1898-1914, [At Mt. Holyoke]
- Josiah Strong: On Anglo-Saxon Predominance, 1891 [At Mt. Holyoke]
- Albert Beveridge (1862-1927): The March of the Flag, September 16, 1898 [At this Site]
- John Hay to Andrew D. White, First Open Door note on China, Department of State, Washington, September 6, 1899 [At American Revolution]
- US Recognition of Cuban Independence, 1898 [At this Site]
- Treaty of Peace Between the United States and Spain, 1898
By which the US acquired Cuba, Puerto Rico and the Phillipines. [At Yale]
- Edwin Wildman: A Visit to Aguinaldo, Leader of the Philippine Rebels, 1898 [At this Site]
- R. L. Bullard: Preparing Our Moros for Government, 1906 [At this Site]
- The Atlantic: The Break-up of China, and Our Interest in It, The Atlantic Monthly, August, 1899 [At The Atlantic, subscription required]
- The Platt Amendment, 1901 [At this Site]
- The Platt Amendment, 1903 [At Mt. Holyoke]
- The Roosevelt Corollary
- Convention Between the US and Panama (Panama Canal), 1903 [At this Site]
- Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919, Pres., 1901-1909): Annual Message to Congress 1905
- Francisco Garcia Calderón: Imperialism of Decadence, 1913 [At this Site]
- Calvin Coolidge: Intervention in Nicaragua [At Mt. Holyoke]